EGSA recognizes significant contributions to the association and to the on-site power generation industry through a number of awards.
The Gordon Johnson Lifetime Achievement Award
Established in 1994, The Gordon Johnson Award is given on an as-needed basis to honor an individual who has devoted his career to the betterment of the Association and the industry. This “Member Emeritus” award is only given to such individuals who have retired from the industry, but whom the Association feels deserve the title of “member for life.” The award is named in honor of—and was first given to—Past EGSA President Gordon Johnson, whose name has become synonymous with EGSA.
Gordon was employed by Kohler Co. as a Senior Staff Engineer in its Generator Division and was highly active in EGSA for well over two decades. He chaired the Engineering Committee (1973-77) and won the Carpenter Award in 1975. He served as Director (1977-80), Secretary-Treasurer (1981), Second Vice President (1982), First Vice President (1983) and President (1984). After his retirement from Kohler Co. he extended his career in the industry by serving as EGSA Technical Advisor (1997-1999).
- 2016 - Jim Wright
- 2012 - Gary Kidwell
- 2007 - Ken Niekamp
- 2003 - Herb Daugherty
- 2002 - Ike Davidson
- 2001 - Arthur Coren
- 2000 - Tom Richards
- 1999 - Don Panetta
- 1996 - Martin W. Bever
- 1996 - Roy Brewer
- 1996 - Glynn Burchette
- 1996 - William Divin
- 1996 - Edward G. Goodpaster
- 1996 - Al Groethe
- 1996 - Ed Hannum
- 1996 - Lawrence Hogrebe
- 1996 - Henry Kadavy
- 1996 - Bill McCall
- 1996 - Ed Newell
- 1996 - Glenn Reist
- 1996 - James Shore
- 1996 - Georg Stromme
- 1996 - Herbert Whittall
- 1994 - John Ford
Back to top
The Leroy H. Carpenter Award
The Carpenter Award is given annually to honor an individual for long and outstanding service to the Association. It was first given in 1972 and was later named in honor of Leroy H. (Roy) Carpenter after his untimely death during an EGSA convention.
Leroy was Manager of Quality & Electrical Test for Fermont Corp. of Bridgeport, CT. He was very active in EGSA and was Chairman of the Convention Planning Committee. He was also very active in the Government Liaison Committee and served as Vice Chairman (1971-72) and served on the Military Standards Sub-Committee.
- 2015 - Debra Laurents, Cummins Power Generation
- 2014 - Greg Linton, JRS Custom Fabrication, Inc.
- 2013 - John Kelly, Jr., Kelly Generator & Equipment, Inc.
- 2012 - Charlie Habic, Gillette Generators
- 2011 - Warner Bauer, Kickham Boiler & Engineering
- 2010 - Bob Hafich, Emergency Systems Service Co.
- 2009 - Michael Pope, Süd-Chemie, Inc.
- 2008 - Dale Slemp, Western Power Group, Inc.
- 2007 - Jack Rogers, FWMurphy
- 2006 - Steve Stoyanac, Silex Innovations
- 2005 - Paul Dolinar, Synchro-Start
- 2004 - Gary Kidwell, ASCO Power Technologies
- 2003 - Ken Niekamp, Chillicothe Metal Co.
- 2002 - John Winbery, Con-Select, Inc.
- 2001 - Don Becker, Kohler Generators
- 2000 - Ron Seftick, GE Zenith
- 1999 - Leo LeBlanc, Tidewater Consulting
- 1998 - Bill Divin
- 1997 - Roman Gawlowski, Detroit Diesel Corporation
- 1996 - Glynn Burchette, Libby Corporation
- 1995 - Herb Daugherty, Automatic Switch Company
- 1994 - Ike Davidson, Davidson Sales Company
- 1993 - Larry Hogrebe, Automatic Switch Company
- 1992 - Jim Wright, Marathon Electric Mfg. Corp.
- 1991 - Tom Richards, Katolight Corporation
- 1990 - Wayne Aceto, Barnes, Henry, Meisenheimer and Gende Inc.
- 1989 - Dewayne Babb, Standard Power Equipment Company
- 1988 - Frank (Pat) Murphy, Frank W. Murphy Manufacturing
- 1987 - James Shore, Consultants, Ltd.
- 1986 - Harry Nichols, Detroit Diesel Allison (post.)
- 1985 - John Powell, Powell Electrical Associates
- 1984 - George Stromme, Onan Corporation
- 1983 - Charles McDonald, McDonald Equipment Company
- 1982 - Arthur Coren, Zenith Controls, Inc.
- 1981 - John Ford. Jr., Solar Turbines International
- 1980 - Ed Goodpaster, Lima Electric
- 1980 - Alfredo Christlieb, Sociedad Electromecanica S.A. of Mexico
- 1979 - William Timmler, Jr., Lima Electric Company, Inc.
- 1978 - Robert Roepke, Basler Electric Co.
- 1977 - Roy Brewer, Homelite, a Div. of Textron, Inc.
- 1976 - Loren Mages, Forces, Inc.
- 1975 - Gordon Johnson, Kohler Company
- 1974 - Ed Swenson, Onan Div., Onan Corporation
- 1973 - Diesel & Gas Turbine Publications,
- 1972 - Lowell Anderson, Whittaker Power Systems Corp., HOL-GAR Division
Back to top
The William Timmler Award
The Timmler Award is given annually to honor an individual for an outstanding job as committee chairman. The “Outstanding Committee Chair” award was first awarded in 1970. The award was renamed for William Timmler, Jr. after his death from cancer in the late 1970’s.
William (Bill) Timmler was V.P. of Marketing for Lima Electric Co. of Lima, OH. Lima was a subsidiary of Condec Corp. of Greenwich, CT. Bill received a BS in Electrical Engineering from the University of Wisconsin. Prior to his work at Lima, he worked for Louis Allis as an Electrical Engineer.
Bill was very active in EGSA. He served on the Marketing Committee and chaired the Activities Committee (1973-74). He also served as a Director (1972-74), Secretary-Treasurer (1974-75), Vice President (1975-76) and President (1976-77). He was honored with the Carpenter Award in 1979.
- 2016 - Dennis Pearson, Woodward, Education
- 2015 - Mike Witkowski, Pritchard Brown LLC, Codes & Stds
- 2014 - Bob Piske, Arizona Generator Technology, Distributor/Dealer
- 2013 - Todd Lathrop, Eaton Corporation, Codes & Standards
- 2012 - Bob Hafich, Emergency Systems Service Co., Membership & Technician Certification
- 2011 - Andy Ulavege, Enercon Engineering, Education
- 2010 - Joe Hafich, Emergency Systems Service Co., Distributor/Dealer
- 2009 - Dennis Roundtree, Onsite Power Inc., Education
- 2008 - Ron Hartzel, Eaton Corporation, Codes & Surveillance
- 2007 - Leo LeBlanc, Nixon Power Solutions, Communications & Conventions
- 2006 - Michael Pope, Sud-Chemie, Education
- 2005 - Armand Visioli, ASCO Power Technologies, Conventions
- 2004 - Roger Pocock, Alcad Standby Batteries, Codes & Standards
- 2003 - Ed Murphy, PowerSearch Inc., Membership
- 2002 - Ron Mellow, RAM Tech Sales, Inc., Mfr Reps Council
- 2001 - David Alley, ANNA, Inc., Education
- 2000 - Steve Stoyanac, Kim Hotstart, Membership
- 1999 - David Coren, Zenith Controls, Convetion Program Planning
- 1998 - Vali Vivi, V-V & Associates, Mfr Reps Council
- 1997 - Leo LeBlanc, Tidewater Consulting Group, Membership
- 1996 - Don Panetta, Selkirk Metalbestos, Industry Codes & Standards
- 1995 - Paul Dolinar, Synchro-Start Products, Inc., Conventions
- 1994 - Raul Arrondo, R.B. Grove, Inc., International Trade
- 1993 - Warner Bauer, Engineering Controls, Inc., Co-Gen/Environmental
- 1992 - Paul Johnson, Diesel & Gas Turbine Publications, Convention
- 1991 - Glenn Reist, Kohler Company, Technical & Standards
- 1990 - David Fredlake, Woodward Governor Co., Education
- 1989 - Herbert Daugherty, Automatic Switch Co., Engineering
- 1989 - Jim Wright, Lima Div.-Marathon Electric, Education
- 1988 - Glynn Burchette, Libby Corporation, Government Relations
- 1987 - Warren Henderson, Charles Industries, Ltd., Elec Pwr & Crtl Comp
- 1986 - Dale Slemp, Rust Power Systems, Membership
- 1985 - Raymond Wood, Technology Research Corporation, Government Liaison
- 1984 - Harry Nichols, Detroit Diesel Allison, Technical & Standards
- 1983 - Ike Davidson, I.L. Davidson, Inc., Education
- 1982 - Tom Hallis, Basler Electric Co., Marketing Statistics
- 1981 - Edgar Hannum, White Engines, Inc., Product Safety & Enviro
- 1980 - Navin Garawara, Powertron Inc., Membership
- 1979 - Roshan Chhambra, Winpower Corp., Product Safety & Enviro
- 1978 - James Roenitz, Kohler Company, Marketing Statistics
- 1977 - Anthony Raucci, Fermont Div., Dynamics Corp. of America, Convention
- 1976 - Larry Hogrebe, Automatic Switch Co., Elec Pwr & Crtl Comp
- 1975 - Edwin Tornquist, Onan Div., Onan Corporation, Technical & Standards
- 1974 - M. J. Sullivan, Industrial Acoustics Co. Inc., Convention
- 1973 - Edmund McCardell. Sr.,Winpower Mfg. Co., Statistical
- 1972 - Robert Roepke, Basler Electric Co., Membership
- 1971 - Al Groethe, Marathon Electric Mfg. Co., Technical & Standards
- 1970 - Roy Brewer, Winpower Mfg. Co., Technical & Standards
Back to top
The James Wright Educator Award
The Wright Award is given on an as-needed basis to honor those individuals who have devoted their energies to the betterment of the Association’s education programs. The award was named in honor of James Wright.
Jim received a BS in Nautical Science from the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, L.I., NY. He was employed by Lima Electric Co, Inc. in various Generator Sales and Engineering positions from 1968-1986 when Marathon Electric Mfg. Corp. acquired Lima Electric Co. He has been with Marathon since the acquisition of Lima in 1986, and is still employed with Marathon as a Sr. Product Engineer - Generators.
Jim has been very involved in EGSA for decades having served on the Technical & Standards Committee (1973-78), chaired the Education Committee (1985-94). He also served as Secretary-Treasurer (1987), Second Vice President (1988), First Vice President (1989) and President (1990). He was awarded the Timmler Award in 1989 for his work with the Education Committee and won the Carpenter Award in 1992. He has served with the EGSA On-Site Power Generation School from its inception in 1983 to date. He is the author of two chapters of the EGSA On-Site Power Reference Guide (2nd, 3rd and 4th Editions). He has been a featured speaker at a number of national and regional conventions and technical conferences, and he has written a number of technical articles for EGSA’s Powerline magazine.
- 2013 - Dennis Pearson, Woodward
- 2008 - Terry Gaines, Basler Electric
- 2006 - Dennis Roundtree, On-Site Power Inc.
- 2003 - Michael Pope, Volvo Penta of the Americas
- 2002 - David Alley, ANNA, Inc.
- 2000 - Herb Daugherty, ASCO Power Technologies
- 2000 - Roman Gawlowski, Detroit Diesel
- 2000 - James Wright, Marathon Electric
Back to top
On-Site Power School Instructor Appreciation Program
In 2007, the EGSA Board of Directors established an Instructor Appreciation Program for the purpose of recognizing the contributions on instructors -- and their employers -- who have devoted significant time and effort to the EGSA On-Site Power Generation Schools, and who have taught in the school for at least 5 years.
25 Years of Service
- James Wright of Marathon Electric
20 Years of Service
- Herb Daugherty, retired from ASCO Power Technologies
- Roman Gawlowski, retired from Detroit Diesel
- Ron Schroeder, ASCO Power Technologies
15 Years of Service
- Terry Gaines, Basler Electric
- Ole Haaland, ANNA, Inc.
- Tim Hinde, Woodward
- Dennis Roundtree, Onsite Power Inc.
10 Years of Service
- Dave Alley, ANNA, Inc.
- Bob Birdson, OK Generators
- Mike Dauffenbach, MTU Onsite Energy
- Ed Kach of Caterpillar
5 Years of Service
- Walter Chrysam, Alban Cat
- Harry Handlin, GE Critical Power
- Steve Lawrence, Woodward Governor Controls
- Jim McDonald, Rypos, Inc.
- Michael Pope, Clariant Corporation
- Steve Stoyanac, Chillicothe Metal Co., Inc.
- Mike Witkowski, Pritchard Brown, LLC.
Back to top
David I. Coren Memorial Scholarship Program
The David I. Coren Scholarship Program was established to provide financial assistance to students who plan to seek employment in the On-Site Power Generation industry after they have successfully completed their studies. The Scholarship Program was named after David Coren to commemorate his exemplary leadership as well as his efforts and many contributions to advance EGSA.
David joined both Zenith Controls and EGSA in the early 1990's. He became Chairman of EGSA's Convention Planning Committee in the mid 1990's, and his strong leadership led to many exciting convention programs. In 1999, EGSA recognized his contributions to the Convention Program Planning Committee by honoring him with the William Timmler Award.
David held several executive positions at Zenith Controls including Manager of Business Development, and Vice-President. He became President of Zenith in the late 1990's and held that position until the company was sold to General Electric at the end of 1999. David's integrity, honest and direct approach, and caring attitude earned him the respect of all the employees at Zenith, as well as throughout our industry. David passed away in the fall of 2000, leaving his wife and two young children, and also leaving a lasting legacy of EGSA leadership.
For more information on applying for a scholarship, visit our scholarship page.
Back to top
The President's Award
Established in 2009, The President's Award is given on an as needed basis to honor an individual who has volunteered their time and energy to the betterment of the Association and the industry through a specific project or endeavor. This "Above and Beyond the Call" award is only given to those individuals who have provided exceptional service and dedication in carrying a single project from its inception to its launch.
- 2013 - Charlie Habic, Gillette Generators
- 2013 - Rick Morrison, Nixon Power
- 2013 - Ed Murphy, Power Search, Inc.
- 2013 - Mike Osenga, Diesel & Gas Turbine Worldwide
- 2013 - Armand Visioli, ASCO Power Technologies
- 2012 - Bob Hafich, Emergency Systems Service Company
- 2012 - Joe Hafich, Emergency Systems Service Company
- 2012 - Ron Hartzel, Eaton Corporation
- 2012 - John Kelly, Jr., Kelly Generator & Equipment, Inc.
- 2012 - Deb Laurents, Cummins Power Generation
- 2012 - Greg Linton, JRS Custom Fabrication, Inc.
- 2011 - James Wright, Marathon Electric
- 2009 - Herb Daugherty, ASCO Power Technologies
Back to top
Technician of the Year Award (TOYA)
TOYA honors one generator technician each year who not only possesses the well-rounded skill-set requirements of electrical and mechanical acumen, but also has consistently gone above and beyond for an entire career. Whether the recognition stems from an emergency response, an act of heroism or consistently going beyond the call of duty, the EGSA TOYA winner is singular. The TOYA also showcases overcoming challenges and staying abreast of educational and EGSA Certification opportunities.
- 2016 - David Yuro, Modern Power Systems
- 2015 - Mark Michaelson, Collicutt Energy Services Inc.
- 2014 - Todd Vaughan, Kelly Generator & Equipment, Inc.
Back to top