Green Advisory: New Regulations for Pre-Tier Stationary Diesel Engines. RICE/NESHAP
Posted On: 3-01-2010
The EPA has introduced the Final Rule for the Air Toxics Standards for Reciprocating Internal Combustion Engines (RICE). The Rule proceeded through the proposal and public comment stages before its issuance on February 17th. It is part of the National Emission Standard for Hazardous Air Pollutants (NESHAP).
Some of the main points are:
- Engines affected: less than 500 HP, Pre-2006 diesels. Greater than 500HP, Pre-2002 diesels.
- Emissions will have to be reduced by 70%, mainly through the use of exhaust after-treatment devices.
- Engines above 300 HP will be required to use ULSD
- Emergency generator set engines will be exempt.
- Compliance is required by 2013
- The final rule for spark ignited engines is due on August 10th, 2010
EPA’s Fact Sheet can be found at:
The Final Rule can be found at:
Other background information is also available at http://www.regulations.gov, EPA’s electronic public docket and comment system.